This Bean Chili is Plant-Based and made in the slow-cooker. It’s my signature Chili recipe made meatless! With only 15 minutes of hands-on time, it isn’t labor-intensive. Plus it’s healthy and delicious!
You might not think of bean chili as an easy dish, but this vegan chili version will change your mind. It’s fabulous, it’s healthy and it can be ready in about a about 4 hours using a slow cooker so prep or 30 minutes on stovetop.
This is a take of my beef chili shared on Muy Delish but turned into a plant-based version. Added more beans, lentils and a little tofu for good measure. The spices really add depth and richness of flavor, so try not to skip any of them.
- The Protein – Canned pinto and red kidney beans, dry lentils and extra firm tofu (optional).
- The broth – You’ll need tomato juice and tomato purée.
- The veggies – white or yellow onion, celery, green bell pepper.
- Seasoning – Chili powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, dried oregano, sugar and a dash of cayenne pepper.
How To Make Bean Chili
Step 1. Turn the crockpot to high to start warming it up and add all ingredients.
Step 2. Cover the slow-cooker with lid and let the chili simmer for 4 hours on low.
Chili Toppings & Serving Suggestions
Never skip the toppings! Here are some ideas to jazz up your bean chili:
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Greek yogurt
Serve warm with crackers or cornbread.
MORE OF MY Favorite…
Plant-Based Chili (Slow Cooker)
- Large Slow Cooker
- 15 ounce can pinto beans - drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans or black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu (optional) - grounded
- 29 ounces tomato juice (1 quart)
- 1 medium onion - chopped into small cubes
- ¾ cup celery - chopped into small cubes
- ½ cup green bell pepper - chopped into small cubes
- 3 Tablespoon chili powder - use ¼ cup for a more spicy chili
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅕ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Turn the crockpot to high to start warming it up and add all ingredients.
- **See note below for cooking it on stovetop.
- Cover the slow-cooker with lid and let the chili simmer for 4 hours on low.
- Serve warm with crackers or cornbread.
- In a large pot, add all ingredients.
- Simmer, stirring often, for 45 to 1 hour or until all of the flavors have developed well. Make sure not to cook it on very strong heat since it’ll dry it out too quickly.
- Stir often so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.