Low Carb Lemonade
This Low Carb Lemonade is my go-to summer drink! It is easy to make with only 2 ingredients plus I’ll show you how to sweeten it perfectly each and every time!
🍋 Homemade Lemonade
It’s made with freshly squeezed lemons and simple syrup. It’s perfectly sweet and super refreshing!
Once you’ve made your lemonade, you can drink it as is or add a shot of dragon berry rum to make it spiked!
Why make it Low Carb?
My philosophy in eating has always been: Do not drink your calories! Reserve that precious energy for your food. There will be times to make an exception of course (like a cocktail <wink>) but if you have the option to drink a diet lemonade, then do it!
Specially if it tastes so good like this one.
Ingredients Notes & Substitutions
For an AMAZING homemade lemonade you only need two ingredients (water does not count hehe), fresh lemons and sugar. For this recipe, we’ll make a simple syrup using a non calorie sweetener which will keep this drink low in carbs and calories!
My preferred non calorie sweetener is Truvia and after that is Stevia in the raw as I think they have the best natural flavor without overpowering the drink with an aftertaste.
Want it with white sugar? No problem!
The recipe card below also has the option to make it with regular sugar if you prefer. Both versions are delicious!
How To Make Low Carb Lemonade
Making Limonada could not be easier than this!
Step 1. Start by making the simple syrup by dissolving the non calorie sweetener and water in a small pot.
You can make this ahead of time and have it reserved in the fridge.
Step 2. Then, using a lemon squeezer or your hands, juice the lemons until you reach one cup.
Step 3. Add the juice in a jar, the simple syrup, water and mix!!!
Lastly – Stir all ingredients well and enjoy over a glass filled with ice.
By using simple syrup (instead of sugar), you can use cold water to make the Lemonade! Usually sugar does not dissolve well in cold water so this is the perfect way to start a sweet cold drink.
Got leftovers? No problem! In fact, I love to double my recipe just to have extra in my fridge.
- Fridge: Keep any leftover lemonade in a pitcher or jug with a lid or sealed with plastic wrap for up to a week.
- Freezer: To freeze place in an airtight container or freezer ziploc bags. It keeps well for up to 3 months.
- Make them into ice cubes or popsicles!
Fresh squeezed lemonade will keep in the refrigerator up to 7 days before it loses its freshness.
One tablespoon of lemon juice contains only 1 gram of carb so 1/4 cup of lemon juice equals to 4 grams of carbs. It is the perfect drink in case you’re watching your carb intake!
It all depends on how juicy your lemons are and their size. Typically it will take about 4 large juicy lemons.
Could be you’re using old lemons or the lemons were not ripe enough. Avoid scraping the white pith that lies right beneath the peel. The pith makes the drink bitter.
More Delicious Recipes
- ¼ cup Truvia (or 15 individual packets)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 large lemons)
- 1 cup simple syrup
- 4 cups cold water
- Ice for serving
Make The Simple Syrup
- In a small saucepan add both ingredients and bring to a soft boil over medium-high heat.
- Keep mixing the sugar with a wooden spoon to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom. This will ensure all of the sugar melts all the way.
- Place in an airtight container cool completely before storing in fridge.
- Simple syrup last about 1 to 2 months in refrigerator.
Make The Lemonade
- Using a lemon squeezer or your hands, juice the lemons until you reach one cup.
- In a large pitcher, add the lemon juice, the simple syrup & water.
- Mix well and enjoy over a glass filled with ice.
This low carb lemonade turned out perfectly sweet and the amount of water is just perfect!